"The following statement was released by Hon Tim Whetstone MP Minister for Primary Industries and Regional Development in response to the fruit fly outbreak in Loxton.
The Marshall Liberal Government has stepped up its fight against fruit fly with a zero tolerance approach to come into effect at the Yamba Quarantine Station from Friday January 4.
Minister for Primary Industries and Regional Development Tim Whetstone said the new arrangements at Yamba follows the implementation of a zero tolerance approach at all random roadblocks last month.
“As part of an emergency response to the fruit fly outbreak in Loxton, as of today there is no longer an option to declare produce at the Yamba Quarantine Station without penalty,” said Minister Whetstone.
“The zero tolerance policy is aimed at changing the attitude of motorists who flout the law and bring produce into South Australia. This type of behavior is putting Riverland industries and communities at risk of economic devastation from fruit fly.
“Electronic signs have been put in place, as well as roadside disposal bins to ensure the message is clear to motorists travelling into the Riverland to ‘Eat it or Bin it’ before approaching the Yamba Quarantine Station.
“There are ample warnings leading into Yamba about disposing of fresh produce the correct way and if motorists ignore those warnings they will be caught and penalised. Do not throw fruit out the window or littering offences will apply.
“Additional staff have been appointed at the Yamba Quarantine Station, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to support policing of the new zero tolerance measures.
“The Marshall Liberal Government is also taking a zero tolerance approach to random roadblocks held across the state. In fact, we have significantly increased the number of random roadblocks this financial year.
“The suspension zone for the Queensland fruit fly outbreak in Loxton will be lifted on 25 March, 2019, without any further detections. To assist growers as part of the response to the Loxton outbreak, a team of dedicated PIRSA market access personnel have been deployed to provide advice in regards to the movement of produce and quarantine restrictions.
“There is a clear and simple message for people travelling into South Australia, do not bring in restricted fresh produce otherwise you will face fines and penalties of up to $100,000.
“From roadblocks to quarantine bins, we will use every tool at our disposal to defend our vital horticulture industry against fruit fly and to protect our fruit fly free status.
"Keeping South Australia free of fruit fly is everyone’s responsibility.”